Also called a trophic pyramid . Diagram representing the flow of energy through each trophic level in a food chain or food web. With each energy transfer, only a small part (typically 10%) of the usable energy entering one trophic level is transferred to the organisms at the next trophic level, with the remaining 90% lost as heat or expended in metabolic processes.